Foo-Blah!

Thursday, November 11, 2004

Making the switch

No I'm not talking about IE to Firefox, I did that back when it was called Firebird. It seems that we will be switching from ASP.NET to JSP! This is a welcomed changed for the most part coming off of the difficulties we've had with our last application. We had to make an ASP.NET web application for a MySQL Database( not supported) that would be hosted on a Linux box (Mono development) and need to generate PDFs (again, not supported). We did it but it was interesting to say the least. Anyhow, I'm familiar with Java having come from a Java background and then developing with C#, so I'm not concerned about that. I am concerned about handling Autopostback functionality in JSP. The only thing that I really liked about ASP was their Autopostback functionality. Select an item in a listbox, and I could easily populate another listbox. I haven't been able to find anything similar in JSP. It's not a problem with forms however. In fact Java has more functionality than the .NET platform. This will be an interesting switch...