Foo-Blah!

Thursday, June 24, 2004

GMail

Alright, now that I've had my GMail account for a couple of hours, I can only say one thing. WOW! Not just a wow, but a WOW! 1000Megs are very nice to say the least. I have a yahoo account I use for business and it has a nice 100Megs. I've just read on Slashdot that msn is increasing their free accounts to 250 and paid members to 2Gigs. So in the long run I'll have 1600Megs of email storage, 2 hotmail, 1 yahoo, and a GMail :-). So how does GMail stand up against the mighty M$ and Yahoo? I'm glad you asked.

Storage - This is a no brainer, 1000Megs vs 250Megs vs 100Megs. I would take the 1000Megs for free over the rest of the competition any day of the week and twice on Sunday. Point Google.

Conversations vs Emails - For the most part there is no real difference. A conversation is an email. There are some cool features that conversations have but I haven't messed with them yet....

Folders vs Labels - Almost everyone has used a Yahoo or M$ account. You know how to create folders, mark them read, and move them around. We'll you can do the same thing with GMail but it might take some getting used to for all the n00bs out there. In GMail you don't have folders, you have labels. Labels are essentially folders. The big hurdle to get over is that you don't actually have folders, you apply labels to conversations. For example, I apply a Slashdot label to all conversations that I get from slashdot. If I want to see every conversation from slashdot, I can simply select the Slashdot label.

Searching - GMail is into searching. This makes sense since GMail was developed by Google, the world's best search engine. Basically, if you want you can keep all of your conversations in the Inbox and when you want to find something, just search for it. This allows for fast and easy means of finding any conversation. Point Google.

Starring - Haven't messed with this yet but from what I can tell, its marking an conversation as important. An yes, there is a Star link that will display all star conversations.

Conclusion - So far GMail is on top. I'll be sure to update this in the near future.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home