Foo-Blah!

Friday, July 23, 2004

Wurzbach Parkway

I used to live on the Norht East side of town off of O'Connor and Naco. I remember the headaches of when the city began working on the Wurzbach Parkway. While the idea of providing a 'quick' route to get from I-35 to I-10 is nice, the construction was a major pain. The project lasted for about 2 years and despite being a major pain, it was doable. When the parkway was 'completed' I was happy because I had a faster way to get to work. Or so I thought. The speed limit is 45mph. Who the hell goes 45 on a 4 lane highway? Despite the fact that the speed limit is 45 and all the cops do 60, I still used it from time to time. Now that I live on the North side near the 281 & 410 area I have the other 'half' of the Wurzbach Parkway right by me. Yes the speed limit is 45 there too, but it does take me right to I-10.

To recap, there are essentially two halves to the Wurzbach Parkway. One on the North East and the other on the North side. Which means that there is a big gap in the parkway. And where did the city, in all of its wonder and glory, decide to run the parkway thru? Bitters and 281! For those of you who don't live in SA, Bitters and 281 is a nightmare. Traffic is fine if you're on 281, a nightmare if you're on Bitters. While some might say, what’s the big deal, you won't fully understand the situation unless you live by the area. The NE side of the parkway stops at Bitters and Jones Maltsburger. Now the city can finish the NE side of the parkway and make it run right by the airport. The only problem is that they'll then be building over houses and small businesses. As for the North side’s parkway, I live right by it. It just stops at Blanco road, mainly because of the apartments right in front of it! The city has bought some of the buildings from the apartment complex and has torn them down. But just 100 yards behind the torn building are houses! All around that area are houses! Needless to say, it will be interesting to see how the city pulls this one off.

2 Comments:

  • Bitters and 281 is a nightmare? I used to work near the Botanical Gardens, and I had to drive 410 east to 281! That pitiful excuse for an interchange is a friggin' deathtrap!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/30/2004 10:03:00 AM  

  • They are gonna build the existing parts eventually, just not right now...give them a few years for the funding

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/24/2005 09:39:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home